Wednesday, January 25, 2012

prologue to a gray dawn


reaching out in the dark my hand finds yours as we walk back in the chilly dawn
we’re smiling exhaling white breath from cold lips as our fingers brush in the foggy morn
my head is light and my feet don’t feel the ground as i carelessly twirl and you laugh
unmindful of the fact that we’re going to be torn asunder and you’ll be gone

and so skipping we go stepping lightly in the darkness with not a soul around
our steps echo and the distant howl of the dog we disturbed is the only other sound
my fingers are numb and i feel not my toes and the night of passion still alive in my head
sends shivers down my sides as i miss the sheets still warm we left rumpled on the bed

the barricade’s unmanned and we squeeze through kicking stones as we go
and they noiselessly skim on the black tar while the occasional passing car splits our shadows
on the walls and leaves them moon-walking backwards off the shutters of shops corrugated shut
that stand vigil in silent rows the solemn witnesses to our undeclared love



No comments: