Friday, January 20, 2012

bellows and pistons


as the moon fades and another pale day arrives
i feel the song of the steel, that sweet swift hum
and on i fly, swift as the eagles that soar and
the bellows and pistons beat a steady rhythm

the wind blows through my clothes
and my legs feel like they’re on fire
my body and the frame rattle together
merged into one, right from the tyre

where it touches the ground to the tips
of my hair blowing in the cold breeze
my t-shirt flaps like a flag in my shadow
that speeds ahead with ease

the freezing wind that had made
my eyes water and my nose run
is warmer now and there’s no sign of  
the mist with the coming of the sun

now the sweat trickles down the sides of my face
and into my eyes from the sides, dodging the brows
but on i fly, swift as the wind in my hair and
squinting my eyes i feel one with the crows

that fly with me all day and are replaced by
dark silhouettes with a flapping velvety flight
and my shadow that was one with the road and the sky
now does cartwheels as i speed beneath the streetlights

my legs hammer away like pistons tireless
of the machine that i ride an integral part
and my lungs are the strongest bellows ever made
that fan the fire that’s burning in my heart


No comments: