Thursday, October 10, 2013

untitled


i can’t think of a title for this one
even after frantic thought
in fact i can’t write anymore
wish i could justify it
saying something romantic or
insightful or deep

that it’s because of all the hurt i’ve seen
in the eyes that are still adorned by smiles
that it’s been stifled by all the hearts that’ve borne
great troubles without a complaint. that it’s been rent
by the lives that’ve been torn
by mindless strife

that words seem worthless before little hands
scaly dry and cold, and tiny scabbed toes
sticking out of broken shoes. innocent
eyes staring out from under matted hair
uncomprehending of how unfair
the world is. staring at the trickle of water
blowing on numb fingers to warm
them while waiting for the bucket
to be carried back home

souls like shoes
from trudging get worn
ideas begin to seem naked, shorn of dignity
but no, that’s not happened to me

ya, sure, in this world immense
i’ve trudged along a bit on weary feet
and seen the futility of pretence
amongst strangers, and the insignificance
of what i called poetry

but to be honest, things don’t affect me like they should
maybe they’re for minds greater than mine
to ponder upon and internalize
and then talk of in pained prose
in anguished howls through the night

my heart’s too shallow
my thoughts too inane
my emotions too fickle
my love too vain

so now if i lay my pen to rest
you know it’s not because i detest the written word
and don’t let me convince you of something fancy like
my heart pays no heed to my mind’s behest

no, there’s nothing wrong
it’s simply that
the vanity i felt in my thoughts is gone


No comments: