Thursday, March 1, 2012

come now, won’t you?


longing, oh he’s an old companion
long and far we’ve together paced
he’s wily when flirting with uncertainty
and most amusing when a life’s at stake

we engage in this game on and off
that on a simple premise is based
either i get the better of him
or he leaves my soul razed

the seasons they come and the seasons they go
though of my lover there’s not a trace
but the game is long and now it’s my move
and i convince him that i’m unfazed

like an itch at a gash on the inside of my ribs
i crave for your touch for a glimpse of that face
i languish i pine i thirst i yearn i ache i lust
and i watch on bemused my intriguing case

oh longing, he’s an old friend
and though occasionally for a lark he’ll lace
my evening drink with the morbid poison of melancholy
he’ll see to it that i make it through the days

but come now for though i wouldn’t admit to him
i’m beginning to forget your smell the taste
of your tongue the feel of your skin and though 
he won’t admit it the poor fellow too needs a break


No comments: