Wednesday, December 7, 2011

translating shiv kumar batalvi: ki pucchdeo haal fakiraan daa


a humble attempt at translating a poem by shiv kumar batalvi


a song
 
why do u ask after us mendicant wanderers
us, who are waters separated from the rivers
us, who have been born as tears
us heartbroken forlorn lovers

knowing well that pictures are but names
for blotches of gaudy colours
i valued them too dearly when
i ended up amongst the lovers

i slept with thousands, but
not one whose soul was mine
such fate did someone write
on my hands, in these four lines

my destiny was ardent, but of no avail
all the meticulous plans i thought i’d try
i left not jhang and pierced not my ears
as a flock of heers passed me by

people listen to my songs too
and they call me a godless infidel
for i called my hurt my kaaba, and god
was the name i gave my pain immeasurable

in the company of the learned
i often spoke out loudly with disdain
it was from a bit of pride in my love
from the small claim i had over pain

you pride yourself as being intelligent
a passionate lover is how myself i paint
let’s leave it for people to decide
whom they honour as a learned saint


8 comments:

bawa said...

thats an excellent translation.

batalaland said...

thank you. i'm glad you liked it.

Unknown said...

Good attempt. Appreciate for your posting. I was particularly keen to know meaning of Hanjh because it is the first time I saw it modified from original Word Hanjhu.

Grim Reaper said...

great translation

Ki puchde haal fakira da

white pawn said...

Very well written!
Bravo

कविजी said...

beautiful, thank you for tanslation

Trips said...

By far the best interpretation I've read. And you have translated in poetry form which is commendable. Great

Unknown said...

Its just mesmerizing