Thursday, December 22, 2011

another city for company


paver stones shine in the setting sun
and low and mellow the sun shines off the tar
and off dusty leaves and glistening crows and
off the rooftops and bonnets of passing cars

the peepal leaves flutter in the shadows
in the halo of burning light around my head
stretched across the pavement beneath the tree
and around my foot swinging off the dusty parapet

on my left my rucksack leans against me
as i sit waiting hunched over my book
and on my right slumped up against me
sits the dog with six toes on his hind foot


the bats feed at the fig and now it’s the streetlights
that throw shadows framed by windowpanes and eaves
and next to the open door on the wall behind your tv
i once again have a halo of fluttering leaves

that evening’s long gone and huddled asleep
must be the crazy crows that madly soared
there’s a long night before me and well
i’m just a little more lonely than before


No comments: