Wednesday, August 6, 2014

a vain ode to loneliness


"an old man who couldn’t read, once devoutly
cared for a precious scroll in his possession
and died hoping for someone who’d know to come by and
– with just the smallest gesture – acknowledge his passion"


the end of the day
is when i’m loneliest, by far
just before i step into the shower
facing the mirror after a smoke
the bidi done - too quickly
the smoke gone and with it
the veneer of laughing dignity

i’m left standing alone
shorn of all devices and pretense
and a dreariness comes over me
- is that what you called weltschmerz?
maybe not, let me
claim this as a personal curse
selfishly -
soaking in like the cold
up from the floor
through the soles of my feet

my feet that you once found exquisite
(misshapen though they look)
they’re pretty good for running
a metatarsal hurts, but that’s only temporary

through my calves, that you once said you adored
nowadays i’m only aware of them when i run a lot
or when i’m frozen over the sink, my whole body taut
bent forward, head against the mirror
eyes shut tight, on tiptoe
the calves like knots on a thick rope

to the bony front of the pelvic girdle
where the thigh meets the torso
at the little vein that’d sometimes show
where you’d always linger
with a toe or a finger
and sometimes your lips
before leisurely moving on, to my ribs
and the intercostals,
until my limp
hands begin to ache
my veined hands, calloused, baked
you said they fascinated you - unless of lied -
because with equal ease they could
both sketch and climb

and the lean sloping shoulders that throw
the trapezius up, (which you’d liken to a nice hold)
stoop even further, leaving more
than ever pronounced
my wretched collar bones

i’m loneliest of all
at the end of the day
when my reflection stares at a body
that feels like a collage haphazard shoddy
of various people’s whims and desires
held together somehow
once cherished, probably
forgotten by now 


No comments: