Monday, September 16, 2013

talking of napes

/why i get lonely enough to want to sleep with strangers


you, though not unaware of the dangers
of lonely melancholy evenings, had asked
how one could sleep with strangers
so, i was just thinking of this the other day
staring at a beautiful nape
i was thinking of how in field i'd starve
for just such a thing
for months at a time to see a beautiful hand
or even a shapely wrist

the most intimate i'd ever get was with co-passengers in shared taxis
like this one time sitting in the back of a jeep on benches facing each other
i look at my thin middle-aged neighbour
a compact man in a knitted sleeveless woolen sweater
over a check shirt and glasses that make him look like a teacher
and think, nice jeans, before i realize that it is my own knee
i’m looking at. he has his arm around my leg, his elbow in my crotch
his hand pinned in place at the notch below his watch
by the back of the guy crouching in the space between my legs
i can’t move a muscle
my hand grazing against his stubble
everytime we go over bumps or sharply turn. the jeeps jumps and dips
shoving my shoulder in someone's armpit and someone's elbow in my ribs

and of course there are kids
one at each window. the girl with messed up hair
the small boy almost in tears
from puking. and there’s a beautiful woman too
sitting in front on my side, more composed. she clears
her throat, spits a couple of time to get the taste of bile
out of her mouth and is back inside
nonchalantly wiping her mouth everytime she’s done

but like love and longing barf too comes in bouts
and so she’d be out again with a lurch and a list
sending a fine spray onto my nape
that hasn’t in ages been touched
that’s been craving to be kissed

No comments: