Tuesday, August 13, 2013

the last days you thought horrible


ponderous grey clouds lie layered
like a heavy cotton quilt spilt low, smeared
with ink or melancholy or fallen overripe jamun
touching the distant tree tops. coming down

behind streaked white buildings and the desolate
skeletons of new ones coming up. and though it’s late
there’s a constant hammering that resonates
with the pounding of my heart that refuses to abate

the squirrels chatter incessantly the dogs lie asleep
a dozen flowers on the jarul a jezebel flies up to me
a gate shuts with a hollow jangle the hinges rattling
the breeze passes through me like i was travelling

and i can almost see distant hills on the horizon
hidden by the clouds that the wind’ll drive away anon.
your fingertips caress my hand and you eye me ruefully
but i’m not here anymore my love. i’m gone on ahead already


No comments: