Sunday, August 25, 2013

taxi ride

: tenga to balipara


man! are we packed
we are packed like
like sardines? it’s not a metaphor i can relate to
mine comes in tins, swimming in brine
like cigarettes? no, not so straight
like a pack of pringle maybe? but not all the same
more like misshapen corn on the cob
ya, corn. in orderly rows 
three ladies adjusted next to the driver. four 
people in the middle and four in the back
plus two kids in two laps

an old man on my left
wrinkled hands three rings one with a gem
i can feel his ribs against my elbow through our two jackets
­the tug of his intercostals when he coughs
a kid’s father on my right the dad’s elbow in my side
the kid leans on my arm sleeps eventually with his head on my hand
his ear touching my thumb his scapula against my forearm

jammed against one another leg against leg all the way to the calves
thigh against thigh crushing phones and cigarette packs
knees bent into the back of the seats in front
we’re packed so tight our pelvic girdles touch
i can feel thin muscles tense if they so much
as contemplate a movement

we are cushioned like a fragile shipment packet
and i start thinking of jackets
i’m wearing one of my dad’s
i think i’ll keep it. it’s served me quite a bit, as clothing goes
against cold and dust and sharp elbows
and then it doubles as my pillow 
through nights when we don’t have beds or a place to stay
and the way it’s looking now, he wouldn’t want it back anyway
i should get it dry-cleaned at the end of the trip though

i’ve always been curious about  dry-cleaning
but never bothered to find out how it works, meaning
is it like a dry-wash in some volatile solvent soaking inside-out?
dry-cleaning sounds more like just a dry wipe i think
a surface scrub with alcohol or something

ah! breakfast stop
time for the corn to pop



No comments: