Saturday, May 5, 2012

monologue overheard at a café


so you think i’m overweight and have denial issues
try for a moment putting your perfect self in my bloody shoes
my life is turning out to be a disaster
collapsing in on itself, turning into a wreck ever faster
and there are days i wake up with this realization chill
that my best days are over and from here it’s all downhill
i have no clue where i’m going and you know what’s scary
this realization that my life is never going to be anything
other than just plain ordinary
i am so not the person i thought i’d be
i don’t do any of the things i thought i’d do when free
all the things i always wanted to do as a kid
things that were important once but then just slid
away through my fingers while i looked away
i betrayed them i did and now they have no place
in my sorry life
morbid
i studied something i wasn’t happy with
but based my job on it anyway and now can’t get rid
of this veritable hell hole in which i’m bloody stuck
where it’s all about appearances and no one really gives a fuck
about what makes one happy and why we’re here
it’s all about living up to expectations and building careers
all about money and work and money and work and money
i feel chained down, shackled and yoked and gagged
i don’t understand how i’ve managed to so beautifully drag 
myself into this blind cavernous dungeon dark
or maybe this is where i was fated to end up right from the start
they killed my dreams and i allowed them to do it
by letting them call them ridiculous or fanciful or far-fetched
i was expected to comply and comply i meekly did
i don’t even think i have the courage to defy, if i ever so wanted
they managed to instill in me the fear of the unknown
the seeds were sown early, an inadvertent inheritance that’s grown
and the insecurities one ought to mock have been deeply ingrained
my will has been shattered and my very soul drained
i just can’t let go now, can’t step out of this maze craftily designed
even my hopes are fettered, beaten into submission, docile and resigned
i go weeks sometimes in a dazed stupor and then i’m fine
until i wake up suddenly in the middle of the night crying
lemme inform you, first-hand, if you ever had any doubts
like hunger and poetry, depression too comes in debilitating bouts
but these are problems i don’t even really want anymore to solve
just stumble home in the evenings and thank god for alcohol
one needs to give vent from time to time, it’s true
so there now, my life lies bare before you
and i told you all this only because you insisted
please don’t judge me, i know it’s at best insipid
and at times downright sordid
my sorry life
morbid

....................................................................
onehelloworld
 

1 comment:

kalebrera said...

How can I get in contact with you!?

I want to make a movie on this!

Regards Victor

kalebrera@yahoo.com