Friday, August 31, 2012

prior engagement



a damned demanding mistress
thriving on my distress
she knows how to draw me out
on cool lonely nights like these
she asks me what i think about
as i stare at the distant lights
stoking the ember in my hand
seducing me with whispered rhyme
she slowly creeps into my mind
telling me she’ll understand

and so we get to talking this way
of how your ribs feel in my embrace
of the bite marks you left on my chest
or how caressing my shoulders you reach for my neck
how having made love we go to sleep
on the large bed holding each other tight
only to wake up again
and reach for each other in the middle of the night

i guess i could well talk instead
of how the room brightens up when you walk in the door
or how it’s a pleasure to see you do the simplest chores
like ironing your sari the night before
hands flying as you expertly handle both
the iron and the cigarette
blowing smoke out the side of your mouth
tucking your hair behind the ear once more

but i can’t just get away with bright blue days
and sunny mornings on the hillside spent picking flowers
i must come to the pungent smell of crushed grass
that stained our elbows and our knees
the peach blossoms in your hair
the rumpled pillow of my jeans

the mad laughter
and the frantic search for a pin after
for where the sleeve of your dress tore
it takes a lot to engage her and i can’t
get away listing things about you i adore

 i must talk of how with your eyes shut you gasp
every time i enter you
for the rest  is too passé
no, the other won’t do
for  she’s far too exacting and easily bored
and though i may be honest to you
to my poetry i’m still a whore

No comments: